Speed Camera Information
Notice- Implementation of Landover Hills Speed Monitoring Systems
                      The Mayor and Town Council of the Town of Landover Hills have authorized the use of speed
monitoring systems in   designated school zones. The Town of Landover Hills will start operation of its speed monitoring systems with
a 30 day warning period on May 2, 2011. The location of the first speed monitoring system will be on Annapolis Road, in the St. Mary's School Zone which is
between the 7000 block  of Annapolis Road and the Town boundary at the intersection of Annapolis Road and Ardmore-Ardwick Road.
The system will be placed initially inthe 7100 block of Annapolis Road. In accordance with State Law, beginning on June 1, 2011, the Town of Landover Hills
will issue $40.00 civil citations to vehicles that exceed the posted speed limit by 12 miles per hour or more.

Payment Related Questions/ Responses
What will happen if I do not pay? Unpaid violations are subject to additional consequences, including vehicle registration non-renewal or suspension.

What methods of payment are acceptable at that location? Unless your tag number has been flagged by Landover Hills, you can pay by:
• Check
• Money order
• Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover)

 If your registration has been flagged, only certified funds are accepted. (NO Personal checks will be accepted on flagged vehicles.)

What is the procedure for mailing my citation payment? If you wish to pay a citation by mail, your check or money order must be made payable to:
Please write the citation number and vehicle tag number on your check or money order.
Mail your remittance stub along with your check to Landover Hills Automated Speed Enforcement Program P.O. Box 5046 Hagerstown, MD 21741.

Are there any other options for payment? Yes.  You may pay by phone by calling 443-749-8832.  You may also pay via the internet at www.ategwebpay.com.  Only credit cards may be used with these payment options.
My check was returned.  Do I owe any additional fees?  Can I use another check for repayment?  A $25 returned check fee will be applied.

Are partial payments accepted? Partial payments are accepted by mail; however, they do not prevent other adverse action such as vehicle Registration Hold or other consequences.

Disputes and Court Related Questions
I just received a citation today and believe it was issued in error.  What do I do? You may contest a citation by requesting a court date.  The back of the citation
has a portion that must be completed if a court date is requested.  This must be filled out and returned to Landover Hills Automated Speed Enforcement, P.O. Box 5046 Hagerstown, MD 21741.  The scheduled court date information will be mailed back to you.

If I decide to pay my fine am I still eligible for a court date? No. Payments are considered admission of liability, and it is deemed that the citizen has waived his/her right to a hearing.

I cannot attend court on the date given to me.  How can I reschedule?  One additional court date can be scheduled if the request is received before the originally scheduled court date.

How do I cancel a court date? A court date can be cancelled via a telephone call or written request prior to the scheduled court date.

I failed to appear for my court date, but still want a court date.  What must I do? Citizens that fail to appear for their scheduled court date will be considered to have Failed To Appear (FTA), and a judgment of “Liable” will be entered by the District Court Judge.
Note: District Court  Guidelines dictate
Citizens deemed “liable” via FTA requesting to be rescheduled must include:
• A written request for reschedule
• All associated citation information
• Indication of the original hearing date
• Requestors telephone or contact number
• Requestors most current address
• A self –addressed and stamped return envelope

All letters must be mailed to Landover Hills Automated Speed Enforcement Program, P.O. Box 5046 Hagerstown, MD 21741.

*The final decision will be left up to the District Court*

Can I be represented by an attorney? “Yes – that is your right.”

When should I contact an attorney? “You must do so in time for your scheduled court date.”

I live out of state.  Can I write in to the courts for a decision? Maryland state law does not provide for written administrative appeal.  The authority to adjudicate appeals of school zone speed citations is reserved to the District Court of Maryland.  There is no dispensation provided in the law for out-of-state residents.

What happens if I do not have an attorney at my trial? The judge could decide that you have waived your rights to an attorney and compel you to waive your rights to an attorney and you must represent yourself.

Flagged Vehicles
How do I have the flag removed? If there was no citation error, you must:
• Pay the total amount due on all citations.
• Obtain a VR119 flag release form (“Traffic Control/Parking Fine Receipt”) from Landover Hills Automated Speed Enforcement customer service 443-749-8832.
• Provide to MVA a copy of the VR119 form, which informs them to release the registration flag

Stolen Tags or Vehicle:
My vehicle or tags were stolen before the citation was issued. The citizen must submit a copy of the police report or documentation from MVA listing date of cancellation of stolen items.  If the date on the police report is before the violation date or the vehicle or tags were not retrieved before the violation date, the citation will be dismissed.  If the violation date does not match time frame of police report the citizen is responsible for payment.

Miscellaneous Questions
I loaned my car to someone else.  Why am I responsible for the citation? Liability for citations ultimately rests with the registered owner.
The registered owner has the right to identify the person who was in care, custody or control of the vehicle at the time of the speeding violation.  The registered owner must provide:
• A sworn written statement sent certified mail / Return Receipt Requested
• The citation number
• Any other corroborating evidence, which may include the name, address, and driver’s license number of the person driving the vehicle at the time of the violation.
Request must be sent to:
Town of Landover Hills Automated Speed Enforcement Program
P.O. Box 5046
Hagerstown, MD 21741
NOTE: If the identified driver does not satisfy the ticket, the registered owner is still ultimately responsible.  The registered owner will be subject to further action to include vehicle registration flagging and collections.

Why was I issued this citation? The citation was issued because your vehicle was captured exceeding the posted speed limit by 12 miles or more in a school zone.

The registered owner of this vehicle is deceased.  What can I do about the outstanding citations that were issued to their vehicle? Citations assigned to the vehicle of a now deceased registered owner may be dismissed upon receipt of the following documentation:
1.  For violations issued prior to the date of death:
 A copy of the death certificate of the registered owner
2.  For violations issued after the date of death:
A copy of plate cancellation receipt from MVA.
The individual will be notified as to the status of the Citations in question.

When did the law become effective? The State law authorizing automated speed enforcement systems in school zones became effective October 1, 2009.

What is the fine? MD Legislation has set the civil penalty at $40.

Will points be assessed against my license for a citation from the Landover Hills Safe Speed program? No.  Points will not be assessed against your driver’s license.

School was not taking place in the school zone when I got my citation.  Can you void my citation? No.  Citations may be issued regardless of whether children are present in the school zone.  School zone speed limits are established in the interest of your safety and as well as the children.  Whether or not school is taking place, it is imperative for you to obey the school zone speed limit in order to safely navigate through school zone conditions.

I think a speed camera took a photo of my vehicle.  How long will it take to get the citation in the mail? For vehicles registered in Maryland, citations will be mailed no later than 14 days after the violation occurs.  For vehicles registered in another state, citations will be mailed no later than 14 days after the violation occurs.